Lady Khatun Marium School
 
     
   
     
   
 


Background


The LKMN School owes its origin to a marine school established by Late Haji Ismail at Worli  in 1910 for the sons and orphans of seafarers who had served with loyalty on board his ships of the then Bombay Steam Navigation Company. The purpose was to encourage the orphans and sons of seafarers irrespective of cast, creed or religion to educate themselves and follow in the footsteps of their forefathers. With the demise of Haji Ismail, it fell upon his son Sir Mohamed Yusuf to pursue this dream further. He shifted the school to Nhava as Worli was found unsuitable for maritime training, as not only the sea was rough, but the outcrop of rocks along the shore far too dangerous. Nhava with its sheltered bay was an ideal location. The number of boys steadily registered an increase and soon reached a strength of 50 pupils. In 1915, the inheritance of Haji Ismail was handed over to the Marine School.
read more >>